Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Shredded Beet and Cabbage Salad


Wow, I haven't added a recipe in a long while! My poor camera became broken towards the end of the year in Spain, and I've been reluctant to post anything with less than stellar pics. Well, this I just had to share, so iPhone photo it is :)

There is an amazing vegetarian restaurant I go to in North Hollywood called Leonor's, and they serve an amazing cabbage/beet salad called the Forever Young salad. It blows me away every time. I have been craving it, so I decided to attempt something similar on my own...

I adapted the recipe from a few found on RecipeVegetables, a great recipe portal that I recently stumbled upon. It came out amazingly fresh and tasty, and will no doubt become a staple from here on out. I would have liked to use a grater to shred the cabbage and beets, but I don't have a good one. I used a food processor instead, which got the veggies very finely shredded - a different kind of vibe than I was going for, but rockin' just the same! Please give it a try and let me know what you think... Omg, you're gonna flip.

Shredded Beet and Cabbage Salad


1/2 small head of green cabbage, shredded, chopped, whatev!
1/3 medium sized beet, ditto
2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/6 of a red onion
1 or 2 garlic cloves
1/2 avocado, preferably over ripe, kinda soft
1 tsp dijon mustard
fresh ground black pepper
salt

Grate or shred the cabbage and beet separately, than put together in a large salad bowl to mix. Pulse the onion and garlic in a food processor until it is finely grated, then put in a separate, smaller bowl with the oil, vinegar, acvocado, and mustard. Mix these together well, mashing the avocado with a fork and whisking until it creates a mushy, creamy sauce, not too runny. Pour the sauce over the shredded beets and cabbage and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle pepper and salt to taste on top and mix together again. That's all - a little prep work, but very quick and easy to prepare.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks amazing!!! I look forward to trying it out very soon :)
    Keep the posts coming please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ran across this recipe and it look yummy! Im gonna make it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this as an approximate double batch and it was amazing, making about 10 cups of slaw. We had garlic scapes and green onions on hand instead of garlic cloves and red onion and it came out really well. On the day after I made it the beets started to overpower the other flavors, and on the 3rd day it didn't taste as great so I think this is a recipe that should be made and consumed in the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, as I am eating my Forever Young salad I decide to search for a recipe. Thanks I can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Wife and I made this for lunch today.. It was great. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This salad was delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete