Friday, February 5, 2010

Vegan Black Bean Chili Lunch Bowl


I woke up today to the unusual sound of rain falling outside my window. Southern California doesn't see too many rainy days, but when they come I am thankful. It was chilly and wet all day long and I was in the mood for some warm comfort food. I thought of black beans - I've become very fond of their many uses as a meat alternative - and I had some fresh veggies to use up, so I decided on a chili-type bean bowl to soothe my soggy soul. It was very quick and easy to throw together and certainly served it's purpose...

Vegan Black Bean Chili Lunch Bowl

1 tsp olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced and chopped
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1 15 oz. can organic black beans
5-6 slices jarred jalapeño, chopped
1 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, cubed
1/2 small tomato, chopped


Heat oil in a small boiling pot on low heat. Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add onion, bell pepper and celery with oregano and 1 tsp chili powder and toss together. Cook 2-3 minutes. Drain most of the liquid from the black beans and add the beans to the pot. Add the remaining chili powder, jalapeño and most of the red pepper flakes, mix well and cook about 5 minutes.


Turn off heat and add avocado, tomato and cilantro. Mix well and sprinkle remaining red pepper flakes on top. Serve warm and enjoy! Top with your favorite hot sauce for a little extra kick. Perfect on a rainy, chilly day...

No comments:

Post a Comment