Monday, April 19, 2010

Vegan Huevos con Chorizo


I am finally all settled back at home in Los Angeles after some post-tour leisure travel. I swear - the thing about home that I miss most while on the road is my kitchen! I haven't posted in a while, but I'm back to getting creative in the kitchen and eager to share what's cookin'...

This dish is similar to the tofu scramble I posted in February, but I just had to give a shout out to the fabulous SOYRIZO. I used to dig cooking pork chorizo (or whatever meat scraps they make it from) and having it in breakfast burritos, but it's way greasy, and like most sausages, pretty gross when you really think about it. Meat imitation products are certainly hit or miss - sometimes they nail it, usually they don't. My friends Omar and Bethany told me about Trader Joe's Soyrizo, and when I tried it, I flipped! Its texture and taste is so close to the real thing, but way less greasy and so much healthier/kinder. This stuff would fake out a carnivore any day... I've tried a few different brands - so far, TJ's is my favorite.

Vegan Huevos con Chorizo

1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 cup crimini mushrooms, chopped
5 oz block extra firm tofu
1 tbsp turmeric
3-4 oz Soyrizo
salt/pepper to taste

Heat some oil in a pan and add bell peppers, green onion and mushrooms. Cook until bell peppers are slightly browned. Move everything to one side of the pan, leaving space to add all of the tofu. After squeezing as much water out of the tofu as you can, crumble it by hand into the empty side of the pan.
I posted photos and a more in depth description of the scrambled tofu process here. 

Sprinkle the turmeric on top of the tofu, distributing it fairly evenly, and begin to mix the tofu and turmeric together. It will start to turn yellow and hopefully take on a color and texture very reminiscent of scrambled eggs. After mixing well, combine the tofu with the peppers, onions, and mushrooms and move all to one side of the pan.

Squeeze the Soyrizo out of the tube into the empty side of the pan and flatten it a bit with a spatula, giving surface space to as much of it as you can and let it cook for a few minutes. Give the tofu and veggies a little flip to keep them warmed evenly. Mix up the soyrizo - it should be getting a little bit browned on the cooked side. It just needs to be warmed, but I like it a bit browned. When it is cooked to your liking, mix everything up in the pan and add some salt and pepper.

I love serving this with warm tortillas and making mini burritos with your favorite hot sauce, guacamole, vegan sour creme, etc. It is also quite delicious by itself as a scramble! I have yet to try it with Daiya or another vegan shredded cheese, but I'm sure it's amazing... Very simple, quick and easy.

Buenos dias, amigos!

7 comments:

  1. oh, that looks so delicious! although i've never seen vegan chorizo before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well get down to Trader Joe's and get you some! Soyrizo - it's really so good, easy to cook with, and amazingly similar to the real thing. hopefully you have a TJ's or Whole Foods near by... thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tofu Con Chorizo is my fav. I have a simplified recipe that I made for some friends today, and I sent this link to them so they could see a fancier version. BTW, here in El Paso they sell soy chorizo at all the grocery stores, maybe if anybody from the southwest is like me and without a trader joes, they could get lucky and just check their local grocery stores? The soy chorizo and regular are seldom in the same place (weird, I know), but this is an awesome recipe.

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favs! I actually just ate a soy chorizo burrito for lunch with a small salad. Yummy! You wouldn't know it wasn't meat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, cool! I know that burrito, and it's rockin'! We need to get a potluck on right quick - you know, throw down a little... Whad'ya say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाJune 29, 2011 at 9:59 AM

    Looks like a great vegan breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some trader joes soyrizo left over and am so excited to try this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete